Subject: [boost] Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and others
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-01 19:19:45

A new edition of my book "The Boost C++ Libraries" has been published.
It's not (yet) online at http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/ as some may
expect. Instead it is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and others as
a print book.

What's new:

* Several chapters were updated (to Boost.Spirit 2.x, Boost.Signals 2,
Boost.Filesystem 3...)
* Many new libraries are covered (Boost.CircularBuffer, Boost.Intrusive,
Boost.MultiArray...)
* The book has now an index (12 pages with class/function/object names
used in the book)
* The English has been greatly improved :)

The book is based on Boost 1.47.0. It covers 38 libraries which I would
describe as general purpose libraries (no libraries like Boost.Quaternions
for example). It's based on C++98 and ignores C++0x (in a new edition of
the book, I can for example probably drop Boost.Lambda). It has 262 pages
and about as many examples. Every example is complete - it can be built
and run as is (helpful if my explanations are not good enough and you want
to see what an example really does :). One should be able to read the book
in one or two days and know then what those 38 libraries do, when to use
them and how to use them. To keep this email short - please see
http://xmlpress.net/publications/boost for more information.

If you read the book and have any comments or questions - please tell me!
The book was written by someone part of this community, so I'm interested
in what the community thinks. I also hope that I could paint a picture of
the community everyone can identify with. I got a lot of feedback on my
online book in the past and try to improve the book accordingly. So drop
me a line if you like!

Boris