Subject: Re: [boost] [containers] review
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-07 13:59:58

El 07/08/2011 9:16, Gordon Woodhull escribió:
> Hi Ion, John, all,
>
> I apologize that I don't have time for a full review, as I'm going
> offline hiking for the rest of the review period.
>
> Obviously the library should be accepted. Move emulation, stateful
> allocators, emplace, recursive containers, ... so many excellent
> features. And this code has been tested as part of Interprocess for
> years.

Thanks.

> However, I do find the documentation lacking. While the Doxygen
> reference looks very complete, I want to see the overview
> documentation expanded, including covering the following topics:

Ok, let's improve it then.

> Stateful allocators seem to be unmentioned. Do they affect
> performance or behavior? I know this might be a big topic; links are
> okay. My understanding is that these are fully supported but other
> allocator improvements are not yet present? Out of curiosity I'd
> like to see a bit of text about the future directions, mentioning
> N1953& N2045.

Ok. I'll describe current stateful allocator implementation. The fact is
that stateful allocators are going to get a big push with the new
standard and Scoped Allocators. The mid-term goal is to support it:

www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2946.pdf

> Could the contents of Joachin's blog post
> http://bannalia.blogspot.com/2008/08/stable-vectors.html go into an
> overview section for stable_vector?

Sure if Joaquín agrees ;-)

> Recursive container is not defined, also maybe link to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_data_type What is it used for:
> directed graph.

Ok.

> Some guideline about when it's better to use flat_*. I figure you
> would use such a structure when you're not doing a lot of inserts or
> when there are few elements. The advice can be somewhat handwavy and
> instruct the user to do measurements, but it should be there.

Ok

> Silly question, but I'm not clear how to use this
> ordered_unique_range_t that's in the Doxygen - is there a constant or
> do you default construct it or what?

There is a constant in container_fwd.hpp. Maybe we should add an example.

> As earlier pointed out, a lot of the Doxygen parameters and
> descriptions have gotten out of sync k/x first/i etc.

Ok

> Well, I've run out of time. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks!

Ion