Subject: [boost] [gsoc] Request Feedback for Boost.Ustr Unicode String Adapter
From: Soares Chen Ruo Fei (crf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-07 16:41:58

Hi all,

A while ago I gave some previews of my Unicode String Adapter library
to the boost community but I didn't receive much feedback. Now that
GSoC is ending I'd like you all to take a look at my project again and
provide feedback on the usefulness of the library. Following are the
links to my project repository and documentation:

GitHub repository: https://github.com/crf00/boost.ustr
Documentation: http://crf.scriptmatrix.net/ustr/index.html

Recently there was some threads in the mailing list mentioning about
Unicode issues and forcing the use of UTF-8 encoding in std::string
again. I feel certain that few of the key people involving in the
debates should have at least read my project proposal before and
understand what Boost.Ustr was trying to achieve, however it seems
like my approach is not much favored by anyone.

So here I'd also like to know from these people why my approach on
using Unicode string adapter is not the best way to solve the Unicode
problem in C++. I understand that the requirement to alter existing
APIs might be the biggest barrier to make Boost.Ustr adopted by
everyone, but I think here is the key question: if you have the chance
to go back in time and restart your project from scratch, are you
willing to use Boost.Ustr in your library APIs and do you think that
it could have solved the Unicode problems you're having right now?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Soares Chen