Subject: Re: [boost] [Containers Library Review] The review of the Containers library by Ion Gaztanaga starts today
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-11 12:39:24

2011/8/3 John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]>:
>   *  What is your evaluation of the design?

Design is really good. Includes new functions from upcoming standard
(like cend(), cbegin()). Library also contains all the required free
functions (like getline(), swap()) and comparison operators. Really
enjoyed the move semantics and placement insertion.

>   * What is your evaluation of the implementation?

High quality implementation.

>   * What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Documentation is full, however it is hard to read the reference
section... I think that the design must be changed:
1) Functions names does not catch an eye. May be the should be bold?
2) Vector description requires info about vector<bool>. Does this
implementation uses bool optimization?
3) Descriptions of containers must be on a separate pages and must be
accessible through the table of contests. One click to get the info,
instead of two clicks and a lot of scrolling.

>   * What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

flat_set and slist containers are very required. I'd love to use them
in my projects.
Boost.Interprocess will benefit from this library (Interprocess's STL
containers and move implementation can be replaced with
Boost.Containers - less amount of duplicate code will be maintained )
BGL can take advantage of this library

>   * Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
> problems?

Tried to use it with gcc-4.5. Works good. Tested it with lexical_cast
- works. No problems.

>   * How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

Looked through the sources and documentation for a few hours. Made a few tests.

>   * Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Yes.

>   * Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

Yes.
Boost.Interprocess and Boost.Graph libraries should take advantages of
Boost.Containers.
Many other projects will benefit from this library.

Best regards,
Antony Polukhin