Subject: Re: [boost] [fusion] segmented fusion 2.0
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-11 20:37:28

On 8/11/2011 5:19 PM, Joel de Guzman wrote:
> And, looking at the code, the implementation looks very sumptuous.
> I get indigestion with the old code :P

No kidding! That code was horrible. This code is still complex, but at
least this time around I documented everything with pseudocode. It has
helped immensely.

> (Aside: we should talk about naming ext_ into something more obvious.
> Before it was a hidden curiosity. Now it seems its ready to take
> front stage).

That's what I referred to by "baking it in". I imagine that all the ext_
directories go away, and segmentation support just becomes a native part
of Fusion. These things would need to change:

- We find a new home for segmented_iterator.hpp et. al.
- Sequence intrinsics (begin, end, size, empty) have meaningful default
implementations for segmented data structures.
- As many algorithms as possible should dispatch to segmented flavors
when appropriate. E.g., ext_/fold_s.hpp just gets merged into fold.hpp.
- Fusion containers and views that are segmented (joint_view) advertize
themselves as such, and the rest of their implementation goes away.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing