Subject: Re: [boost] [interest] underlying type library
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-21 06:10:40

Le 20/08/11 18:09, Julian Gonggrijp a écrit :
> Dear Boost developers,
>
> std::swap is commonly implemented by copying the arguments. For
> non-POD types this can be very inefficient. Two solutions are
> available. The first option, which is commonly employed, is to
> manually override std::swap for every non-POD type, making use of the
> implementation details of the type.
> The other option is to provide a library which makes it possible to
> implement the swap algorithm once, in a way that is efficient for any
> type (POD or non-POD), and which works even if a type isn't copyable.
> The latter is what I'll be proposing here.
>
> Back in March, Vicente Botet posted a link to the highly inspiring
> 'Notes on Programming' by Alexander Stepanov [1]. Lectures 4 and 5
> cover the (hypothetical) move_raw algorithm and the (hypothetical)
> UNDERLYING_TYPE type function, as well as their relevance to the swap
> algorithm. I'll try to reproduce the essential points of this
> discussion below.
>
> move_raw(s, t) moves the value of s to t. t is guaranteed to be left
> in a valid state but s isn't. In particular, the destruction of s
> might corrupt t because they point to the same additional resources.
> Another move operation into s, say, move_raw(r, s) will however
> restore s into a new valid state.
>
> UNDERLYING_TYPE(T) represents a type which is (conceptually speaking)
> a POD-type with the same member data (and hence the same alignment) as
> T. The underlying type can be used to allocate space for a T object
> and to temporarily store the state of a T object.
>
> Using move_raw and UNDERLYING_TYPE, a swap algorithm can be
> implemented which works and is efficient for any type:
>
> template<class T>
> void swap (T& x, T& y) {
> UNDERLYING_TYPE(T) temp;
> move_raw (x, temp);
> move_raw (y, x);
> move_raw (temp, y);
> }
>
> Apart from its fundamental nature in general, my library might bear
> special relevance to Boost.Swap and Boost.Move. Is your interest
> piqued?

Hi,

I've used someting similar on TBoost.STM (a transaction in memory
library) to backup the data to be restored when rollback is needed. The
advantage to rollback on a POD where that no constructors/destructors
where called due to the commit/rollback transaction mechanisms. The
backup and the restore where implemented by specific functions, that at
the end did a memcpy. Even if this is undefined behavior, it was
esential to the library either in terms of preserving the contraints of
the program or improving the performances.

I understand that Boost can not rely on libraries promoting undefined
behavior, but sometimes using undefined behavior can be accepted if at
the end the function ensures everything is in a state that is
consistent. The swap example is a good example. Even if the function
could use instructions that have undefined behavior, a program calling
this function could have a coherent state for all the variables.

Best,
Vicente