Subject: Re: [boost] [proposal] raw move
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-24 16:03:54

Dave Abrahams wrote:

> Destructive move is practically impossible to manage regardless of
> exceptions:
>
> void f()
> {
> SomeType x;
>
> if (some_condition)
> {
> something_that_moves(x)
> }
> else
> {
> x.foo()
> }
> // Do we call x's destructor?
> }

After your email that explained the practical equivalence of
destructive moves with raw moves, I find this example illuminating
because it shows a problem that doesn't apply to raw moves.

Suppose that the example concerns raw moves instead of destructive
moves. In that case there is no choice at the end of f(): x'
destructor will be called regardless of the truth value of
some_condition. Furthermore we can assume that the code is
unproblematic because we trust the author of something_that_moves.

Either:

something_that_moves(x) returns with x being in an invalid state,

in which case the author has violated the rule that chains of raw
moves bust be closed within the same scope;

Or:

something_that_moves(x) properly closes its internal chain of raw
moves,

in which case x is in a destructible state after function exit and
there is no problem.

So the conceptual difference is that in destructive moves, it is the
compiler's responsibility to maintain integrity, while in raw moves it
is the programmer's responsibility. For programmers there are clear,
strict rules* for avoiding invalid destruction of raw-moved objects.
If we treat raw moves as if they are the compiler's responsibility
instead, they seem intractible.

-Julian

* 1) Once a chain of raw moves starts, in has to finish within the
same scope; 2) all operations between the start and the end of a chain
of raw moves must be non-throwing. I don't think there are more rules,
but there might be.