Subject: [boost] [Feedback] Towards a Better Boost.BloomFilter
From: Alejandro Cabrera (cpp.cabrera_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-24 19:55:24

Hello all,

The GSoC coding period is over. However, I have every intent to continue to
develop, improve, and maintain the Boost.BloomFilter package.

Your feedback last time around was very useful, and made me think very
carefully about the operations supported by each Bloom filter variant
implemented. Thank you.

Now, I could use feedback on at least the following aspects:
- Are all the operations you need implemented by Boost.BloomFilter?
Serialization support is still missing, though at least now it is possible
to access the underlying storage for each structure implemented through the
data() member function.
- Are there are any particular variants you'd like to see implemented
sooner? I've gathered together most Bloom filter literature on the
bibliography page:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/libs/bloom_filter/doc/html/bibliography.html
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/libs/bloom_filter/doc/html/bibliography.html
(Note: twohash_ Bloom filters have been implemented.)
- There is much talk of C++11 as of late on the mailing list: do you see
anywhere in the implementation where taking advantage of C++11 features may
produce a better Bloom filter package?
- Regarding compiler support, this Bloom filter has been tested on several
compiler suites (gcc-4.6, gcc-4.6 -std=c++0x, clang-2.9, clang-2.9-darwin),
but has been primarily developed on Linux. Does the test suite compile and
pass on your target compiler?

My goal is to produce a review-ready Bloom filter library by the end of the
year. Any feedback helps. Thank you for your time!

A few links:
- repository trunk:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/bloom_filter/trunk/