Subject: Re: [boost] [Conversion] Review
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-30 16:56:45

Le 30/08/11 21:36, Jeroen Habraken a écrit :
> On 29 August 2011 18:57, Vicente J. Botet Escriba
> <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Le 29/08/11 17:42, Antony Polukhin a écrit :
>>> 2011/8/28 Vicente J. Botet Escriba<vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>:
>>>
>> I will remove the string conversion are required by others as there is no
>> consensus on which conversion must be used.
>> The library works for unrelated types for which there is a clear and normal
>> conversion. There are a lot of cases where the conversion should be unique,
>> but the library can not ensure that that two developpers would define the
>> same conversion.
> If the traits are moved to Boost.TypeTraits, Boost conversions are
> moved to the respective libraries (both of which I support and believe
> should be done regardless of the review results) and string
> conversions are removed, then what's left of this library?

Recall that the intent of Boost.Conversion was to manage with conversion
of unrelated types. While we could (if the authors accept it) add some
of the provided extrisic conversion intrinsically to some of the Boost
libraries, we can not do the same for the STL classes, neither for the
3rd party libraries.

Best,
Vicente