Subject: [boost] [optional] Thoughts on disallowing assignment for wrapped references.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-31 01:23:58

Boost.Optional seems to really have a lot of potential for what I want to
do, but one thing about it has been nagging me, specifically it's
assignment semantics for wrapped references being different from the
semantics of bare C++ references (see http://tinyurl.com/4yna643).

Has/have the author(s) of the library or anyone considered disallowing
assignment for Boost.Optional types that wrap references, and if so, what
would the consequences of this entail? I rather disallow assignment in
this case, then have what's basically a wrapper class behave partially
differently than the type it's supposed to emulate.

Thanks in advance,

Mostafa