Subject: Re: [boost] [review] conversion - Vladimir's comments
From: Roman Perepelitsa (roman.perepelitsa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-31 02:51:53

> On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:47 PM, Vladimir Batov wrote:
> > On the conceptual level it is far from clear to me if such a framework is
> needed to begin with. In the Scope section Vicente explicitly states that
> his library "is not particularly concerned with cases of...". Those
> "excluded" cases happen to be the most tricky/used/needed cases. With those
> string-to-type, etc. cases taken out of the picture from the set-go, the
> usefulness of the remainder was many times questioned during Convert
> discussions (well before the Convert review) ... I never had a need for such
> a generic type-to-type conversion framework. Obviously, it's my own limited
> experience and it can be vastly different for others.

Vladimir's concerns resonate very well with my feelings towards
Boost.Conversion. If I understand the spirit of the library right, it
introduces a new concept with an associated operation, which can be used in
generic algorithms. But I never needed such a thing and can't come up with a
real-life example where I would use it.

Roman Perepelitsa.