Subject: Re: [boost] [lockfree] review
From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-31 07:50:28

Hans Boehm wrote:
[...]
> For what it's worth, Sarita Adve is both an author of the report you cite and
> the original and perhaps strongest advocate for the "sequential consistency
> for data-race-free programs" programming model.

I'm not contra "sequential consistency for data-race-free programs"
programming model for programs using locks. On PPC, for example, such
programs don't even need hwsync. For programs with lock-free atomics
OTOH, the races (concurrent accesses to the same locations with loads
competing with concurrent stores) is a feature, not a bug, and SC is
simply way too expensive (e.g. it needs hwsync on PPC) for use in
default mode for lock-free atomics: C/C++ is "you don't pay for what you
don't need".

regards,
alexander.