Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] Thoughts on disallowing assignment for wrapped references.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-31 17:13:27

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:28:49 -0700, Nevin Liber <nevin_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 31 August 2011 04:56, Mostafa <mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Let me reword and expand my concerns. I view boost::optional as a thin
>> wrapper for it's underlying type, with the added sugar that it can
>> convey
>> whether its instance has or has not been set by the user. Hence, it
>> behaves
>> very much like a smart pointer.
>
> In "The models" section of the documentation, it quite clearly states
> (in a highlighted box no less) " optional<> is not, and does not
> model, a pointer." Your mental model is wrong.

I'm quite aware of that. Unfortunately, the passage in which I was quoted
was taken quite out of context. Frankly, I too could have been more
careful in my wording. In the context of the my lengthy passage, what I
was trying to convey is that just as smart pointer is a thin wrapper for
its underlying type, so too optional is a thin wrapper for its underlying
type. Hence, don't think I have the mental model wrong. (Given that my
will help clarify my position.)

> Are they reading *any* documentation? "Optional references" is
> mentioned more than once (in the table of contents) on the front page
> of the documentation.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there is no indication that this
section points out inconsistent behaviour with regards to bare C++