Subject: [boost] [any] new version
From: Martin Bidlingmaier (Martin.Bidlingmaier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-31 18:16:14

Hi,

I've written a new version of boost::any. It does not depend on rtti and uses a static integer value instead of std::type_info to store type information.
My version passed the unit tests included in boost 1_47_0 on vc++2010 express and gcc 4.5.(mingw) . With this mail, I'm sending the source and a small quick-and-dirty benchmark. On gcc, moving and copying performance seems to be roughly the same, any_cast however is about 400% faster. On msvc++, moving and copying times rise by ca. 50%, while any_cast is about 50.000% faster (although I guess the speed boost measured in a real benchmark would be in the order of magnitude of the gcc speed up). I would appreciate if somebody measured the performance with proper tools and tested it on more platforms.

Sincerely,

Martin Bidlingmaier