Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] Thoughts on disallowing assignment for wrapped references.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-01 05:10:12

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:09:24 -0700, Edward Diener
<eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

<snip>

> If you want to change the assignment operator for optional when the type
> is a reference, just derive a class template from it, change what you
> want, and use that template to create object types rather than optional.
>
> While you are of course free to have your own opinion on the matter, and
> argue for it, citing that programmers will not be used to the
> functionality, and that they are normally not going to read the
> documentation to understand it and its reason, is not a strong argument.

Just to clarify, if it was not clear enough in my original message, the
*intent of this thread* is not to change the existing behaviour of
optional, or argue for a change, rather, it is to understand the
implications of a change, since I assume there are people on this forum
that are more knowledgeable than me with respect to the usage of
Boost.Optional.

As for your latter remarks, I would have to strongly disagree with that,
and I'll just leave it at that, since my motivation for exploring the
implications of the said change to optional is tangential to the intent of
this thread.

Mostafa