Subject: Re: [boost] [Endian] Performance
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-05 20:58:25

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've just done some quick benchmarks of Beman's proposed byte-swapping code...
>
> What do people see on other platforms?

Twenty plus years ago I put a lot of effort into finding optimum code
for a C language endian library, but real-world application tests
showed that what was optimum for one compiler was a dog on another
compiler, that compiler switches could change what was optimum code,
and then for the next release of the compiler we had to do it all over
again.

That said, if we can come up with a benchmark representative of
real-world uses cases, and can come up with robust optimizations that
have some staying power, I'll gladly include them in the code.

--Beman