Subject: Re: [boost] [Endian] Proposed endian integer types
From: Tomas Puverle (Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-08 14:00:56

Phil,

> - I was expecting to find that these types would use the conversion
> functions that I've already looked at at the lowest level, so that
> optimisations made to those functions would be useful here too. But
> instead, these classes seem to use their own byte-shuffling code. This
> seems like an odd design.

> - I'm not convinced that these types cause the conversion to happen at
> the optimum time. For example:

<snip>

FWIW, I completely agree. Please seem my review comments.
We beat this to death last year, too. Actually, I think your second point is to
do with more than just performance: I think using the endian types in your
application (past the point where you read the data in) could signal an
incorrect separation of concerns.

Cheers,

Tom