Subject: Re: [boost] [proto] Looong compile times and other issues
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-12 07:10:25

>> I guess the solution is to not derive my number type from a proto-type
>> so ADL can't find proto:: classes? Or will I hit this from some other
>> unforeseen lookup?
>
> The solution to ADL problems is usually to set up your namespaces
> correctly or to qualify.
>

>> * the code above gets instantiated from deep within Boost.Math's
>> internals.
>
> Why do you need to use Proto in the internals?

It's not: the issue is that a proto-ized type is used as an argument to
template functions, so you get quite a deep instantiation tree even before
the proto-expressions start to get instantiated. That said I don't have any
issues instantiating those functions with mpfr_class
(http://math.berkeley.edu/~wilken/code/gmpfrxx/) - which uses it's own
(admittedly fairly simple) expression-template code.

HTH, John.