Subject: Re: [boost] [proto] Looong compile times and other issues
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-13 04:01:09

>> Ummm, well I confess I'm not using any transforms - just the expression
>> template creation - then I unpick the expression myself. Partly that
>> allowed me to get things going quickly, and partly it's allowed me to do
>> all kinds of interesting things with the expression. The actual code
>> that unpicks the expression is somewhat verbose, but not all that
>> complex (not too much template depth... I hope).
>
> It sounds like you're not actually using Proto for that much. Which
> leaves me puzzled because I can't figure where the perf problems would
> be coming from. Disclaimer: I haven't actually looked at the code,
> because I'm on vacation.

Nod, could be my template metaprogramming that's at fault.... I can't help
thinking that if I rolled my own ET's I could eliminate most of those by
rolling the functionality directly into the operator overloads.... of course
that may end up being even worse :-(

Anyhow I've filed a bug report on the ADL issue,

Thanks, John.