Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in unit testing both passing and failing BOOST_MPL_ASSERTs?
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-14 18:05:18

Ben Robinson <icaretaker <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This submission would make it possible to write a complete set of unit tests
> for meta-programs, to test both the positive, compiling statements, and the
> negative, non-compiling statements. These tests will all compile, and the
> negative tests can throw an exception instead of failing to compile.

Runtime checks for compilability is rather interesting subject. Whether or not
generic component compiles with different inputs is one of the expectations and
it would be nice to be able to test it. Not sure how you are planning to achieve
it though. Can you outline the idea? What are the limitations?

Why does it have to be implemented as BOOST_MPL_ASSERT? Can it be done as a
separate testing tool? We can consider it for Boost.Test.

Gennadiy