Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in unit testing both passing and failing BOOST_MPL_ASSERTs?
From: Ben Robinson (icaretaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-17 04:08:15

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Ben Robinson <icaretaker <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> As they say: I'll believe it, when I see it ;) Until that time this is
> all too much vapor for me. As I mention in other post, you never explained
> how this condition is checked and who is going to check it: compiler,
> preprocessor, person.
>
> Gennadiy

My written communication skills could certainly be improved, I'll try again.

When compiled for production, the compiler will generate a compiler error
for failing predicates/conditions which are statically asserted (exactly the
same functionality as the BOOST_MPL_ASSERT_* macros).

When compiled for testing, the code will compile around the predicates, and
during run-time, if the predicates/conditions fail, an exception is thrown.

This allows shipping the code with the usual static assert functionality,
but now enables writing run-time unit tests for both regression testing, and
confirming that the predicates do in fact fail when they should.

Is that a better explanation?

Regards,

Ben Robinson, Ph.D.