Subject: Re: [boost] [any] new version
From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-19 07:31:51

Nevin Liber wrote:
[...]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Latest$20draft$20of$20C$2B$2B$2011$20Organization:$20Roundhouse$20Consulting,$20Ltd/comp.lang.c++.moderated/emn-F4PruIY/dvsDT_0WNI4J

> (For those who aren't going to read it, the rough answer is that the
> price to participate for for-profit organizations is an order of
> magnitude more, which would result in even fewer people working on the
> standardization effort.)

If you mean a message from Pete Becker saying that

"Last time I looked, it would have cost me $15,000 per year to
participate in ECMA. For ISO, through INCITS, the fee is $1200. It's
very generous of you to suggest that I pay over ten times as much as I
currently do so that you can get a free copy of the standard."

please note that he may participate in ECMA as a hired expert by some
non-profit ECMA member for even less than $1200 (for $0 in fees to
ECMA).

Recall also that many corporate sponsors of WG21 are already members of
ECMA.

So the conclusion that ECMA "would result in even fewer people working
on the standardization effort" is without evidence, to say the least.

regards,
alexander.