Subject: Re: [boost] structured exceptions for UNIXs -- the hard way
From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-21 12:07:37

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Peter Foelsche <foelsche_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I think such things should be left up to the developers of the compiler!
> I hope the guys at G++ are listening...

FWIW, with a recent GCC on Linux you can throw exceptions from signal
handlers and they will be correctly handled (this is required to
support Java and I think Ada as well). You need to compile with
-fnon-call-exceptions or -fasynchronous-exceptions. These have been
available for quite a while but were very buggy in C and C++ until
recently.

> Maybe one day they get the idea, that not every idea from microsoft is so
> bad.

Async exceptions do have their use; the problem is code must be
carefully designed to deal with async exceptions so you do not want
these to be enabled by default. Also they have non-trivial costs
(async unwind tables can be very large).

--
gpd