Subject: Re: [boost] Unittest capability for meta-programs feedback request
From: Ben Robinson (icaretaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-27 23:36:36

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Tue Sep 27 2011, Ben Robinson <icaretaker-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>

> ... I think you're over-promising here. You can't turn all non-compiling
> code into compiling code by wrapping it in something.

I clearly overstated what I was trying to accomplish. Let me try again:

This submission would make it possible to write unit tests for static
assertions in meta-programs, to verify that static assertions will pass when
they should, and also to verify that static assertions will fail when they
should. These tests will all compile, and the non-passing static assertions
will communicate the detected failure to a test framework at run-time,
instead of failing to compile.

If ... you can
> somehow turn that into a test that throws without modifying my
> component... you are a god. [You may still be a god, but not because
> you solved this problem ;-)]

I am not a god, but try telling that to my 6-year-old triplets and
18-month-old baby. :)

I think what you mean to say is that it tests both positive and negative
> assertions without responding to failed assertions by generating a
> compilation error.

Correct.

> Personally I am very uncomfortable with the use of exceptions to deal
> with failed assertions, and in a test that's just a bunch of
> compile-time assertions, I don't see *any* advantage whatsoever in using
> exceptions.

Exceptions are simply an implementation detail I am using instead of the
compile error. One benefit of writing unit tests which show something
failing when it should, is for regression analysis. Rather than discussing
this point in generalities, I will provide more examples of its usage, and
hopefully I can better demonstrate the usefulness that way.

Thank you,

Ben Robinson, Ph.D.