Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-04 16:24:25

Eric Niebler <eric <at> boostpro.com> writes:

> On 10/4/2011 11:26 AM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> > Dave Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com> writes:
> >> Surely if you'd run the whole boost regression suite on your local
> >> machine before and after your changes, you'd have seen the
> >> differences, no?
> >
> > No, I can't. I have limited time I can spend working on boost
> > development. I cannot wait hours for full regression test to finish
> > even once, not mention twice. I expect regression test system to deal
> > with this. I resolving issues once I observe them online. I do run my
> > own regression tests and they pass.
>
> This is an unfortunate attitude, Gennadiy. As a maintainer of a critical
> piece of boost infrastructure, you have a greater responsibility than
> most to keep things in the green.

I make my changes when I have time to look at regression test reports and fix
regressions if any. Usually (unless I am doing some major changes) there are few
and these goes unnoticed. This time I wanted to remove some long deprecated
symbols. I might have handled that better admittedly.

> Have you considered taking on an
> assistant maintainer who can help you test changes against trunk?

I don't mind help, if anyone volunteering, but not sure how much it would help
with new development. I would still need to run full regression test on all
platforms for every commit, don't I?

Gennadiy