Subject: [boost] [interprocess] Mixed 32bit/64bit processes shared memory current status
From: Pete Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-04 18:36:31

Dear Ion and Boost.Interprocessors,

I'm very interested in the status of support for using shared memory across
processes of mixed bitnesses particularly on Windows. I see from the thread
here:

and the trac here

that this has been looked at before. The ticket is marked as fixed in 1.47,
but I believe the changes are actually only on trunk at the moment?

I appreciate Ion saying in that Trac ticket that support is experimental and
requires feedback from real-world users. I'd be happy to be such a guinea
pig user. But to help me along the way, I have a couple of queries:

- with trunk, what features from Boost.Interprocess are intended to work
across bitness? (I'd plan to build both the 32-bit and 64-bit with the same
version of MSVC). For instance, might interprocess::managed_shared_memory,
interprocess::vector and interprocess::basic_string be expected to work?

- Is it possible to back port the changes from trunk to 1.47 or 1.46.1? If
so what would I need to copy? AlignedStorage, Move and Interprocess?

Many thanks for any help on this,

Pete Bartlett