Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-04 18:40:19

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 06:43:51PM +0000, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Most of these issues are due to this test modules using 5+ years deprecated
> interfaces, which I'd like to remove now. Since you never bothered to switch to
> updated interfaces, they came up now.
>
> BOOST_MESSAGE is deprecated. Correct name is BOOST_TEST_MESSAGE.
>
> unit_test_framework is deprecated. Correct name is unit_test
>
> I actually hope that there are few instances of deprecated interfaces being
> used. I did not hear any mention of them for a long time.

How are these things "deprecated"? Shouldn't deprecated functionality
being used result in rather violent and blatantly obvious compiler
noise?

It seems like all users of them have been completely unaware of their
deprecation. Was this only via docs/comments?

To me it seems that the underlying cause isn't really removing
deprecated things (which one might consider they have the right to do
eventually), but that things that are deprecated are not known enough to
be.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]