Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-05 04:37:37

>>> It is. But as you've seen over the years, it causes an unworkable
>>> amount of upset and alarm when large numbers of failures appear on
>>> the trunk all at once, and people who would otherwise be dealing with
>>> release issues now have trunk issues to worry about.
>>
>> That's why I always advocated independent library development.
>
> We all (well, many of us) want that. We're not there yet.

Unless I'm missing something, that model doesn't entirely solve these
problems, we'd have a situation where:

* Everyone tests independently against the last release, and everything on
it's own looks great.
* A change that removes features gets merged to release and.... oops now the
release branch is broken.

So we'd need some kind of integration testing as well....

Cheers, John.