Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] Mixed 32bit/64bit processes shared memory current status
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-07 16:51:48

El 05/10/2011 22:51, Pete Bartlett escribió:
> I wrote about:
>
>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/02/177696.php
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5230
>
> What was obvious to the contributors to the above discussion, but dawned on
> me only slowly, was that mixed bitness shared memory only stands a chance of
> working if ones uses
>
> offset_ptr< void , boost::int64_t , boost::uint64_t>
>

> rather than the default
>

> offset_ptr< void>
>

> (which is possible on current trunk).
>
> I've now begun testing this in my own app and it is looking promising so
> far.

It could work on windows because mutexes and condition vars are
spinlock-based emulations and in 32 and 64 bit windows 32 bit integers
are used. However in linux pthread mutexes are not shareable between 32
and 64 bit applications, so this would never work. However I think it
could work on Solaris as the same pthread_mutex_cond seems usable
between 32 and 64 bit applications.

Ion