Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in StaticVector - fixed capacity vector
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-15 12:10:48

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
>
>> I'd rather use the following:
>>
>> while ( sv.size() < sv.capacity() && keep_pushing )
>> // do a push_back into a static_vector
>
> Yeah, if you get to rewrite all the functions that lead to the
> push_back. Like spirit::parse and everything it calls.

Yes and should I know what spirit::parse do if some exception is thrown
inside? Maby it returns empty vector, whatever? Is it aware that some of
the exceptions are ok? I don't know it and I do not want to know it.

 From the previous example. If you know that you need only 4 elements
and you use std::vector since there is no static_vector yet, must you
parse all of the elements? You'll probably provide some wrapper/adaptor.
This adaptor will probably work with std::vector and static_vector as
well. Not to mention all other containers that has push_back().

This usage is some special case. Of course, you'll find some number of
those but in general this way of thinking will be wrong.

Regards,
Adam