Subject: [boost] [msm] state machine construction / destruction
From: Jinsong Huang (jinsong_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-19 14:42:45

MSM enthusiasts,

I have done a performance profiling with a simple parser with 3
implementations, plain C++, SMC and Boost MSM. I was happy to learn that
the MSM implementation was very efficient.

I'm having some questions about MSM space allocation, please let me know if
my understanding of things are wrong (very likely).

I work in a high performance computing environment so I will try to minimize
unnecessary object constructions.

Is it possible for the data in the state machine backend live somewhere else
external to the state machine? If that's possible then I can put the state
machine's internal states close to the data that needs to be manipulated and
the state machine itself is data-less and I can have a single copy of the
state machine and each data item carries everything. I know this breaks
encapsulation but I'm just wondering.

The state machine has a events queue (std::deque?), can I choose to not have
this and other data structures I don't think I will need?

Thanks,
-jh