Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in boost.deepcopy
From: Allan Johns (allan.johns_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-24 22:22:41

Consider an object hierarchy in which there may be multiple references to
shared objects. A deep copy should give an identical, but entirely separate
copy of the entire structure.

Also consider eg std::map<std::string,T*>... the std::map copy constructor
is not going to create new instances of T in the copy - this is a shallow
copy.

You could argue that I should write a custom smart pointer to perform a deep
copy in its copy constructor, but for multiple reasons I'd quite like to not
have to do this, and to use boost::shared_ptr as normal.