Subject: Re: [boost] [1.48.0] Beta 1 release candidates available
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-26 19:05:04

STL> This has been increased to 83 MB in VC11 as of right now.
Olaf> Why 11?
STL> As the compiler changes their data structures, they change the PCH size default accordingly.
Olaf> So for the end-user the effect is 0?

In most cases, yes.

Olaf> What's the disadvantage of reserving much more space for the PCH?

I'm not a compiler dev, but I believe that asking for more memory is more likely to fail - the PCH wants a contiguous block of virtual address space at a certain location. x86 doesn't have that much virtual address space to begin with (and the compiler is already playing a tricky game by asking for the PCH before any other DLLs are loaded).

STL