Subject: Re: [boost] Silly Boost.Locale default narrowstringencodinginWindows
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-29 11:33:33

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 17:21, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Yakov Galka wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 16:41, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> > It would've been nice for Microsoft to set all the narrow code pages to
>> > UTF-8 in Windows NT (or Windows 64 bit, the other transition point), but
>> > they didn't, so here we are.
>>
>> They can do it anytime. It won't break anything. You already cannot rely
>> on
>> a specific narrow code page, and it even can be variable-length (e.g.
>> Shift-JIS). They don't do it intentionally (http://bit.ly/2Pdaa).
>>

> They can, but it will be a lot of pain in the short term. It will break all
> programs that require a specific code page (such as Latin-1 or Shift-JIS)
> and can afford to do so because all Windows installations in the country are
> on the same page and hardly anyone uses file names outside this code page.

OK, the problem here is not that it's not the default (we have a long way to
go for this) but that they don't even implement it as an option. I can't
even imagine how hard they had to fail in-order to implement 'more' so it
doesn't work with UTF-8. Maybe it's intentional? Who volunteers to RE
'more'?

--
Yakov