Subject: Re: [boost] Silly Boost.Locale default narrowstringencodinginWindows
From: Alf P. Steinbach (alf.p.steinbach+usenet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-30 22:59:34

On 30.10.2011 18:38, Yakov Galka wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 19:28, Yakov Galka<ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> M:\>a.exe
>> Blåbærsyltetøy! 日本国 кошка!\n
>>

> And don't come upon me that it wasn't copied from the console. Here is a
> real copy-pasta for your calm:
>
> M:\censored>chcp 1252
> Active code page: 1252
>
> M:\censored>a.exe
> Blåbærsyltetøy! 日本国 кошка!

Hey, have I ever indicated that I don't believe you?

He he.

I think what that indicates is that console windows and some other tools
apparently use statistical methods to infer the encoding. There was,
once, an infamous bug in that functionality. Which meant that when you
wrote a particular sentence about George Bush in Notepad, and saved as
Unicode, and reloaded the file, then Notepad told you he's a liar... :-)

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf