Subject: Re: [boost] [smart_ptr] scoped_array / shared_array (size_t) constructor
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-06 18:20:26

On Sunday, November 06, 2011 22:06:41 Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Andrey Semashev
>
> > Why would we need the ambiguous constructor then? Just do "the right
> > thing" from the start.
>
> Because some people prefer the simpler syntax.

A few keystrokes don't justify the change, IMO.

> char a[128]
> char* p = a;
> Is sizeof(a) == sizeof(p)? Array and pointer were synonyms, right?

Come on. We were talking of dynamic arrays, weren't we?

I feel this is going nowhere. You clearly prefer to sacrifice interface
clarity to less typing. Sorry, I don't share your point. Seeing other
comments, it is clear to me that many other people are also against the
change. If you're feeling strong about this, my suggestion is to create a
separate component and leave the current smart pointers as they are. I'm sure
this new component will find its audience.