Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [atomic] review results
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-08 06:22:36

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I think, support for multi-module applications is a must for both
> libraries,
> but Boost.SmartPtr is more lucky in that regard since it requires more
> wide-
> spread atomic ops to operate, so the shared spinlock pool is unlikely to
> become an issue.

shared_ptr requires CAS, and if you have CAS, you have everything. It only
needs to operate on single word integers though.

Either way, it doesn't matter much because the "multi-module" platform is
Windows, and shared_ptr doesn't use the spinlock pool for the reference
count on Windows. It does use it for the atomic access functions though.