Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Local Review (Nov 10, 2011 to Nov 19, 2011)
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-14 18:59:17

Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
> Do you have any preferred alternative name to Local?
> (or, I guess, Locale...but almost surely too late to change that!)

How about Boost.Localization?

The name Boost.Locale was probably invented by a non-native speaker. This is no coincidence, because a native speaker would have had little incentive (and lack of real world experience) to develop a localization library. This doesn't mean that Boost.Locale is a bad name. An advantage of Boost.Locale over Boost.Localization is that nobody will assume that he knows the scope of the library without looking at its documentation first. Given the broad scope of that library, any clear and unambiguous name would suggest a too narrow scope.

The situation is different for Boost.Local, which has a sufficiently narrow scope to allow for a fitting name. The names Boost.ScopedExit and Boost.Local both seem to fit quite well for their respective libraries. The names Boost.Scope or Boost.Scoped for a merged library don't convince me. Perhaps Boost.Block would be OK, but Boost.Local sounds nicer to me.

Regards,
Thomas