Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-23 04:17:35

On 23 November 2011 02:21, Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> As mentioned again and again,
> a good approximation of lambda is already existing in Boost. Namely: bind,
> lambda and phoenix.

>From the lambda paper, "Unfortunately, this elegant solution suffers
from serious problems in terms of usability, implementation
complexity, and performance". I don't think I'd use local, but it
seems clear that while the final result might be uglier, it's a lot
less work to get there.

> Keep in mind that Boost has been at the forefront of C++ library development.
> It is because of these libraries that push the limits of C++ that we see the
> advancement in C++ that we enjoy now in C++11. Case in point is Boost Lambda
> authored by Jaakko Jaarvi (et.al.) which ushered in C++11 lambda:
>
>  http://tinyurl.com/7um5yr4

That paper seems to see boost lambda mainly as an example of what not
to do. C++11 would probably have lambdas regardless of boost; their
importance and the difficulties in implementing them in a language
like C++ were well understood already.