Subject: Re: [boost] What is boost: was New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-23 15:37:55

Nevin Liber wrote:
> On 23 November 2011 13:09, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I forsee a messy transitional stage which a lot of old libraries
>> start to fail with C11x
>
> Why?

As time goes on, newer libraries and updates will start to become dependent
upon C++11 features. This will be a problem for those who work
with compilers which don't yet incorportate the C++11 features. So
they'll be stuck for a while. And it's not clear from looking at the
library documentation what it depends on.

> There are some minor incompatibilities between C++03 and C++11, but
> using Boost with C++11 switched on seems to be going smoothly.

That's good to hear. But won't we get a lot of test matrix failures
with a lot of compilers we test with as soon as C++11 features start
getting used? Won't this create a problem that will have to be addressed
somehow?

Robert Ramey