Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Local] Review
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 02:43:51

On 23/11/2011 13:04, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:

> For some of our users/problems polymorphism might not be relevant

If it is not relevant, you dont lose anything, polymorphism incldues
monomorphism.

> while using statement syntax for the body might. For those
> users/problems (3) might be worst than (2) because is does not use
> statement syntax in its body (worst error messages + less readable by
> others). We leave that decision up to our library users and we are all
> content.

The readability of error message is nothign more than a strawman
argument. Lemme paraphrase Eric Niebler on the subject : "Template based
library outputing walls of error are library with usability bug and
these should be fixed". We have the tools for that (static assert,
non-cascading dispatch on error etc), th eproblem is peopel just don't
get this and bitch about the error instead of filling bugs for the rror
to be spotted and corrected.

It was a time peopel were bitchign about error from std::vector
instanciated with a non-default constructible type, now everybody get it
right.