Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Local] Review
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 05:30:54

On 24/11/2011 10:40, Daniel James wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 07:43, Joel Falcou<joel.falcou_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Lemme paraphrase Eric Niebler on the subject : "Template based library
>> outputing walls of error are library with usability bug and these
should be
>> fixed". We have the tools for that (static assert, non-cascading
dispatch on
>> error etc), th eproblem is peopel just don't get this and bitch
about the
>> error instead of filling bugs for the rror to be spotted and corrected.
>
> We can only use the things we have, not what we could potentially
> have. And what we have is horrendous error messages. And it takes more
> than filing bugs to fix that.

I am just asking users to actually be vocal about such error walls so
the situation comes up to our level of consciousness. These are bugs
like other, except it is diffcult to preemptively find them due to the
fact some slight details of suer defined types may induce such phenomena.

Then, th etool for fixing them are there, static-assert and concept
check are working rather nicely once you actually use them.