Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 07:44:05

Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> 3. I cannot, no matter how I look at your examples and the "logic"
> behind the concept of local functions, comprehend why this is a good
> way to organize code. Aren't we all past the phase yet of functions
> that have more than 10 lines of code?

What are you trying to say here? Is there something wrong with functions having more than 10 lines of code? Looking at my pieces of code I'm most proud of, all have at least one function with more than 10 lines of code. One of this pieces of code was a cache optimal heap. So I looked whether there is any heap implementation in boost that doesn't have at least one function with more than 10 lines of code. There are surprisingly many different heap implementations in boost. All have at least one function with more than 10 lines of code (even if I count only the body and remove all comments/empty lines).

What I'm trying to say here is that separation of concerns (which is a good way to organize code) can't be measured in lines of code.

Regards,
Thomas