Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03
From: Gregory Crosswhite (gcrosswhite_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 08:22:27

On Nov 24, 2011, at 10:48 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:

> Well, then the person who doesn't put the work in to learn to use the
> library *and* learn to read the compiler messages properly is *the*
> problem.

I really don't understand this condescending attitude towards people who decide not to use a new library because in their particular circumstances the cost of using the library was greater than the utility it provided, as if *those kind of people* are the real problem rather than the *high cost of using the library* itself.

Listen, I love learning new libraries and languages. When I first discovered Boost one of the things I loved to do was to skim through the documentation of all of the libraries to see what they had to offer me because I thought it was *exciting*. However, its not like I have an *infinite* amount of time to become an expert user in every library that exists. If a library requires a lot of time and trouble on my part and simply doesn't offer me enough to make up for this, then I will stop spending time learning how to use it so that I can spend that time learning things that are more useful, interesting, and fun.

Maybe one day I will have a need that Phoenix fills so well that it will be worth the investment of my time to figure out how to harness its full power; I am completely open minded to that possibility, and if that day comes I will be happy to invest the time to learn how to use it. Unless and until that day occurs, however, it doesn't make me a "backward-thinking" person that I will instead focus my limited time on more useful pursuits (for me) than learning how to use Boost.Phoenix --- such as arguing with people on the Boost mailing list!

Cheers,
Greg