Subject: Re: [boost] TMP error messages [ was Re: New libraries implementing C++11 features in C++03 ]
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-26 12:33:53

Ábel Sinkovics wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The problem is that errors point to code that is deep within the
>> library's implementation, or worse, the implementations of helper
>> libraries used by the library. To understand the error, the user has to
>> look at the
>> library's implementation. The user shouldn't have to do that -
>> understanding the implementation of a library should not be a
>> prerequisite for using it.

> So far we've only been using it for improving error messages coming
> from template metafunctions. Cases where they can't be easily and
> clearly separated from runtime code haven't been addressed yet.
>
> This solution is part of a library implementing monads in C++ template
> metaprogramming.
> Documentation: http://abel.web.elte.hu/mpllibs/metamonad/index.html
> Source code:
> https://github.com/sabel83/mpllibs/tree/master/libs/metamonad
> Note that there are only a few examples so far.

I've been poking around haskel/C++/monads just out of curiousity
for some time. Can't say I've really made much progress understanding
it all. But I did find your links very intriguing.

In my own work, I've come to rely on Boost.ConceptChecks (BCC)
to short circuit the error list. Also, after one becomes familiar with it
it is very easy to use. It's basically a free compile time assertion to
check metafunction arguments.

Robert Ramey