Subject: Re: [boost] Standard library Technical Report 2 proposals for Boost libraries
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-05 13:00:59

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Olaf van der Spek <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1810.html
>> for the original TR2 call for proposals. While the details will
>> change, it is still a reasonable introduction to what is required. A
>> preliminary proposal would just say "To be supplied" for the "Proposed
>> Text for the Standard" section.
>
> What's the best way to request something simple,

Committee members sometimes just open issues for really simple new
feature requests, but that tends to work well only for those who
attend meetings and/or are frequent contributors.

A paper is probably best, even if it is very short. Papers just plain
carry more weight, and are read by a wider audience.

> like the addition of size_type to iterator_traits?

Out of curiosity, size_type of what?

Also, iterator_traits is viewed as an anachronism by some influential
committee members, both because of the lumping of multiple traits into
a single class and because of the problems using the current
iterator_traits with SFINAE. So you might want to consider a set of
replacement traits that follows modern practice. Proposing something
like that for Boost would be a good start.

Incidentally, I've got a boostification of an is_iterator trait
contributed by Howard Hinnant which would be a nice addition to a
generic set of iterator traits.

--Beman