Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in a library which solves C++ class reflection feature just like Java does?
From: jinhua luo (ljh.home.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 08:04:26

Hi,

1) Platform-independent and Compiler-independent is important, then the
reflection can be applied to tons of C++ applications. In fact, it's not so
possible and feasible to change the compiler, regarding many reasons, e.g.
you have no way to change some compilers with commercial licensing and
closed-source, e.g. vs2008.

2) As known, C++ is statically typed language, so I think it's meaningless
and impossible to change the type at runtime. Of course, the declaration
for reflection may only cover a subset of the class definition, as normally
you just need to reflect some essential members for use by other
application logic.If the declaration changes, e.g. reflect one more method,
you need to re-compile it. Since the reflection supports shared library
dynamic loading and works across the shared library, so you just need to
re-compile the affected part.

3) Due to the flexibility of the declaration, there may exists multiple
reflection registration of the same class, e.g. when you place the
declaration within some header file, and that header file is included in
different compile unit, even among different shared library compilation.
The solution is to keep only one registration for the same class
(identified by the qualified class name) at run-time, and discards others.
Which registration to be kept is in random and unknown, but that's not a
problem as long as they are identical. So it's recommended to place the
declaration in one header file.
Of course, if there occurs the naming collision (different class
definitions but with the same class name), the solution is the same: keep
only one and discards others. But that's a bad development practise, and I
think we should avoid it as much as possible. So that's beyond the
reflection topic.

Regards,
JinHua