Subject: Re: [boost] c++11 and gcc 4.7
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 16:13:23

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Bruce Adams <tortoise_74_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The status of boost for gcc4.7 is unclear (I know it has not been officially released yet but the status for gcc 4.6.2 is
> also unclear).
>
> Both of the following links from www.boost.org are several years and versions out of date
>

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_34_0/status/compiler_status.html
>
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/

Those links are years and years out of date. You should be looking at
the daily regression tests.

See http://beta.boost.org/development/testing.html

In particular,

http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html
http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/summary.html

> Surprisingly another thing that is unclear is the exact set of boost libraries that were included in C++11.

All of TR1 except special math functions went into C++11. Some other
new C++11 library features, like enable_if, were based at least
vaguely on boost libraries.

Use of boost libraries has become an accepted practice, and it is now
widely known that many libraries from boost are on a track to become
part of the C++ standard or its TRs. So there is less interest in
keeping a scorecard.

> I found a reference somewhere online (that I can no longer find) claiming, I believe incorrectly,
> that boost file_system is in C++11.

That isn't correct. Filesystem is on track for C++next, but we won't
know for another couple of months whether that means TR2 or a version
of the standard itself.

> I note that boost.chrono claims to be implemnting C++11 but I would have thought it was
> other way around and that the boost library was incorporated into the standard.

The Boost Chrono docs are correct. The design of std chrono was
influenced by Boost Date-Time, and a number of boost people were
involved in chrono's development, but it wasn't a boost library.

--Beman