Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in a library which solves C++ class reflection feature just like Java does?
From: jinhua luo (ljh.home.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-07 05:31:42

Hi,

ok, it's hard to explain every detail before I publish my codes somewhere
(I'm preparing to publish it).
Anyway, let me introduce some principles of my understanding of the
"reflection":
a) it should be simple and clear enough, which means it doesn't require the
user to get much background knowledge before he can apply the library into
his application. So either the macro declaration or the API should be clear
or even be familiar with (that's why I choose Java style API, and I care
about practicability). I hope learning the library usage just like learning
how to write a "hello world".
b) the reflection should be general, not specific to any domain purpose
c) the reflection should be real reflection, i.e. you can reflect your
declared class at runtime specified by qualified class name string, and you
don't need to make your program compiled with any C++ codes related to that
class, e.g. class definition and implementation (in my example, the main
program is the program to use the reflected classes, and it knows nothing
about the class definition and implementation, which in turn is compiled
into another shared library), and I think that's the magic of the
reflection.

I know there exists many reflection implementation, and every
implementation has its advantages and disadvantages, I think. And my
implementation is a light-weighted but useful enough one, I believe.

Regards,
JinHua