Subject: Re: [boost] ... broken with clang
From: Francois Duranleau (xiao.bai.xiong_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-20 11:41:31

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Christopher Jefferson
<chris_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2011, at 15:10, Francois Duranleau wrote:
>>
>> +1 to that. Plus, as development on embedded devices seriously picking
>> up, and Clang happening to be the only compiler available to iOS
>> developpers starting with iOS 5.0, it would be sad to have Boost to be
>> so Windows-centric and only support compilers that only install/run
>> well on Windows. I understand we need to run tests and all, but at
>> least, Clang is not an iOS-only compiler, so it can be tested on Linux
>> or Windows.
>
> The most important thing is probably for people to run the boost regression tester with the compiler of their preference, and file bugs when things break. It's not hard to do, but it is a fairly high time investment unfortunately.
>
> http://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html

Granted. However, what decides what compilers are supported by Boost
libraries? I was mostly commenting on Beman Dawes's sad (IMHO) comment
roughly saying "CLang is currently poorly supported on Windows, so why
bother now?" as if Boost should only care about developpers on
Windows. Plus, CLang has more than a bright future, as I believed I
have showed with the iOS example (and I forgot to add MacOSX as well;
actually, Apple has embraced CLang as its base compiler), CLang is
now!

Anyway, just my two cents and a bit (a lot?) of laziness about having
to run and report regression tests results for what I deem as a non
exotic compiler :P.

--
François Duranleau